Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Price of Discipleship


I read something yesterday that really got me thinking. "The price of discipleship is less than the price of disobedience". Wow! I can't tell you how much this applies to my life right now!! I have long been assessing the cost of discipleship. Why? Because my entire life centers around discipling the girls. And, the cost is high. It takes time, energy, patience, love, and prayer. I could be off working, making money. In 2004 I gave up a job that paid $63K to stay home with Sheridan. I could send them to school and have "down time" each day. I could fill their time with play dates and activities, instead of "family time". The cost of discipleship is high, and some days I don't want to disciple anyone. Some days I wish they weren't here! But, what would the cost be if I chose not to disciple them? If I were disobedient, what would that cost? The girls would be the ones to pay that price. Romans 5 tells us "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts......" So, perseverance on my part will bring about proven character for the girls. If I don't give up, they will reap the benefits. If that's not motivation to continue, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment